Here is a wonderful and easy recipe for a sophisticated version of a grilled cheese sammie. I was actually flipping through a toddler cookbook called Top 100 Finger Foods by: Annabel Karmel (a great book!) and saw this recipe. The author actually had the cheese toast dressed up like a cute little bunny rabbit, but knowing my little girl I knew that she wouldn't be fooled by a dressed up sandwich -- cute or not! I decided to give it a try and see what she thought. You can't fool kids, they always tell you the truth about food. Yuck! = forget about it mom! and Yum! = Keep it coming mom! All kidding aside, it was a big hit! My addition to this recipe was the chopped up ham. For me, it added a bit of a nice smokey bite to the sammie. Having the cheese toast on a english muffin and adding in the egg yolk to the cheese mixture made the texture when cooked quite fluffy. Delicious all in all! This one is a great one to serve not only to the kiddies but also at a nice brunch :) Happy eating!
Adapted from the "Welsh 'Rabbits'" recipe. From the Top 100 Finger Foods cookbook by: Annabel Karmel. (copyright 2009).
Makes 1 portion
Preheat the broiler to high
Baking time: 3-4 minutes, or until cheese is golden and melted
- 1/3 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 thin slice of ham, chopped fine
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-2 tsps cream or milk
- 2-3 drops Worcestershire Sauce (or to your taste)
- Pepper, to season
- 1 English Muffin, split and lightly toasted
- Fresh chives, chopped (to garnish if you wish)
1. Preheat the broiler to a high temperature. On a small baking sheet, line it with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Put in the cheese, ham, egg yolk, cream, and Worcestershire sauce into a small bowl and mash it together to combine. Season with pepper.
3. Spread the mixture on the cut sides of the toasted muffin, spreading it right to the edges of the english muffin. Place the cheese topped muffin halves about 3-inches away from the heat (about one rack down from normal broiling position). Broil for a good 3-4 minutes, until the cheese is nicely melted and golden. Serve immediately with either a light green salad or a handful of cherry tomatoes. Enjoy! Print This