Adapted from the "Zucchini, Orange, and Spice Muffins" recipe in the Top 100 Finger Foods cookbook. Written by: Annabel Karmel
Makes 24 mini muffins or 12 regular muffins or 1 square (9") baking pan
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Baking time: 12-14 minutes for mini muffins, 22-25 minutes for other
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice or (substitute: 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp ground cloves)
- 1 medium orange, finely grated zest
- 7 tbsps orange juice
- 3 tbsp butter, melted or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 small zucchini, finely grated
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and line the muffin pans or the square baking pan with paper cups or parchment paper. Set aside for now.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spices. In another bowl, combine the orange zest, orange juice, butter or oil, egg, and brown sugar. Pour the wet mixture into the bowl with the dry mixture. Stir to combine. Gently, fold in the grated zucchini.
3. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pans or baking pan. Place it into the oven to bake for 12-14 minutes for mini muffins, or 22-25 minutes for regular muffins. Bake until firm to the touch. Let it cool before eating, especially if you're giving these to your little ones.
Cook's Tip: Store these in an airtight container for up to 3 days. The fresh zucchini will spoil the muffins if kept any longer.