Makes 4 burgers
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 garlic cloves, grated finely
- 1 small onion, grated (along with the onion juices)
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pkg mushrooms, sliced
- pinch of fresh or dried thyme
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 small pkg of Danish blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 pkg plain Naan bread, cut in half and toasted
1. In a large mixing bowl, add in the ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic powder, grated garlic, grated onion, and BBQ sauce. Using your clean hands, mix the ground beef mixture together until just combined. Note: do not overmix the meat mixture, otherwise your burgers will become tough when cooked.
2. Form the burger patties, dividing the mixture evenly into four portions. Place them onto a large plate and set aside. If you plan on grilling the burgers later, then cover and place it into the fridge to keep fresh. Preheat your indoor or outdoor grill (or grill pan) and drizzle one tablespoon of oil to prevent sticking. Cook the burgers until you get your desired doneness.
3. In the last few minutes of cooking, top each burger with about one rounded tablespoon of blue cheese crumbles (or more if you wish). Cover the burgers so the cheese with slightly melt.
4. While the burgers cook, preheat a non-stick skillet on medium high heat, and drizzle the remaining one tablespoon of oil. Add in the mushroom slices, thyme, and onion slices, and season to taste. Saute for a good 5-8 minutes.
5. To assemble the burgers: Lightly toast the nann bread on the grill, then top one slice of naan with the burger on the bottom, then pile on the mushroom and onion mixture. Top with the other naan bread and eat to your hearts content! I recommend serving these with either a simple salad or veggie sticks.