We all buy the frozen or takeout pizza now and then, and for some people it's even become a weekly lunch or dinner. I have to say that I'm guilty for doing this now and then as well, but when I found out a year ago that my local grocery store sold fresh pizza dough I was extremely excited. If I can make quick great tasting pizzas at home without fussing with yeast just to make the dough I am all for it! I have made this recipe enough times to know what works and what doesn't, but of course you can make this to fit your taste. This pizza is my no-fail recipe that is sure to please every one in your family!
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Baking time: 20-25 minutes
- 1 pkg of fresh pizza dough (or whole wheat pizza dough)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jar of homemade or pre-made pizza sauce
- pinch of chili flakes
- half of a green bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 large tomato, cut in half then sliced thin
- pepperoni slices or cubed ham
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- freshly cracked black pepper
- small handful of fresh basil, sliced thin
1. Preheat the oven to 425 F and line a large baking pan with parchment paper to prevent sticking. Sprinkle a small handful of cornmeal to help create a crunchy bottom crust (optional). Take out the dough and roll it out to fit the prepared baking pan, then place it onto the baking pan to fit.
2. Drizzle 2 tbsp of olive oil all over the dough, then spread around 1/2 cup or more of the pizza sauce, and sprinkle a pinch of hot chili flakes. Layer the green pepper slices, tomato slices, pepperoni or ham, and the mushrooms all over the pizza. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top. Then dollop a bit of sauce all over the pizza. The more sauce the more flavour the pizza will have.
3. Using your clean fingers, lightly mix in the cheese with the other ingredients so when the pizza bakes you won't only see the cheese. Freshly crack some black pepper over top, drizzle with the rest of the olive oil and place it in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes. You will know when it is ready when the cheese has nicely melted over, and the dough looks crisp and fluffy. When the pizza is ready take it out of the oven and sprinkle the fresh basil over top. Cut into desired pieces and serve immediately.