Recently I watched the Barefoot Contessa show on the Food Network and saw Ina Garten make this easy delicious bake that could be served at breakfast, brunch or even as a side dish at dinner time. I tweeked the recipe slightly so it would fit my needs and tastes and it turned out to be a great easy side dish for during the week. Adults and kids alike will love this one.
Adapted and inspired by Ina Garten from the Barefoot Contessa Show on the Food Network
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Baking time: 20 minutes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 French Baguette, cut into cubes
- coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- large handful of fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a casserole baking dish with parchment paper or lightly spray with cooking oil. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet, on medium high heat, and place in the cubed baguette pieces. Coat each cubed baguette with the oil and let it brown on all sides, season with salt and pepper.
2. Stir in the diced roma tomatoes and the minced garlic. Let the tomatoes cook down for a good 3 minutes or so. Quickly add in the handful of roughly chopped fresh basil and stir in the freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Take the tomato and bread mixture off the heat and pour it into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the fresh mozzarella cheese and bake it in the oven for a good 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.